As you may know, FashionSHEsta exists to help women over 50 live with Style and Happiness, Every day. Today we're talking about shopping your closet for some fall style inspo!
If you're anything like me, you love clothes and shopping. But sometimes, it can be hard to keep up with the latest trends. That's why I'm here to help! I've put together some tips on shopping your closet for fall style inspiration.
First, let's go over the Essentials for Fall 2022...
Like everything else these days, Fall 2022 is no exception to shaking the box! This season includes bright colors mixed with neutrals, a sumptuous leather or faux leather jacket for those crisp fall days, boots - all weather, cowboy, or your favorite go-to boots, and this season's most sought-after sweaters...long cardigans. Denim is always a staple for fall; wear the style, color, and cut that makes you feel most confident and comfortable. Add a hat and a swipe of your favorite lippies in your fave fall color, and voila, you have the essentials!
Now, let's shop your closet...
One of the best ways to shop your closet is to take inventory of what you have. This can help you figure out what pieces you need to invest in and what you can live without. To do this, I recommend going through your closet and pulling out everything that you haven't worn in the past year. Once you've done that, take a look at what's left.
Are there any items that you can't live without? If so, those are the pieces you should focus on when putting your fall "lewks" together. For example, if you have a pair of skinny black jeans that you love, but they're starting to wear out, consider investing in a new pair of denim in an updated cut.
On the other hand, if there are items in your closet that you never wear, it might be time to get rid of them. You can either donate them or sell them online. This will help you clear out some space in your closet and give you some extra cash to spend on new clothes. **Stay tuned for an article sharing tips on buying and selling on Poshmark.
Something I'll do every once in a while when I don't feel like diving into the abyss of a closet purge is to do a 5x10----set a timer for 5 minutes and pull five items to donate or sell. Do this for ten days and your closet and home should look and feel clutter-free.
Once you've taken inventory of your closet, it's time to start shopping! Here are a few fall trends to keep in mind...
- Oversized sweaters: Oversized sweaters are perfect for chilly fall days. They're also super stylish and can be dressed up or down. If you don't have any in your closet, consider investing in one (or two!).
- Plaid: Plaid is always in style during fall. It's the perfect way to add a little color to your wardrobe. If you don't have any plaid pieces, consider adding a scarf or shirt to your collection. If plaid isn't your thing, consider wearing an oversized plaid shirt as a "shacket" over a graphic tee.
- Neutral colors: Neutrals are always in style, but they're trendy during fall. If you don't have any neutral pieces in your wardrobe, consider investing in a few key elements. Black, white, and gray are always good options. You can add some texture to your neutrals by choosing pieces made from different fabrics, like wool or leather.
-Bright colors: Unlike neutrals, "bright" colors are not usually part of a fall color pallet, but like any other things that might tilt your head in confusion post-2020, lime green, cobalt blue, hot pink etc. are colors you'll see this season. The key is to wear them with neutrals.
- Midi skirts: Midi skirts are perfect for fall because they can be dressed up or down. They're also super flattering on all body types. If you don't have any in your closet, consider investing in one or two.
- Boots: Boots are a fall essential. They keep your feet warm, and they look great with just about anything. Ankle booties, western boots, and all-weather boots in classic styles are at the top of the wish lists of fashion editors.
- Ankle boots: Ankle boots are a fall wardrobe essential. They can be worn with just about anything, from jeans to skirts. If you don't have any in your closet, consider investing in a pair (or two!). I have a pair in cognac color and black, and they take me right into winter.
- Animal print: Animal print is always a fall favorite. If you don't have animal print pieces, consider investing in a scarf or shirt. You can also find animal print shoes and accessories.
Now, grab what you can from your closet, put the items on your bed, or, channel your inner Kim Kardashian and style your outfits on the floor and create some great fall "lewks!" Dont forget to accessorize ;-)
I hope this inspires you as you start shopping your closet for fall. Remember, the most important thing is to wear what makes you feel confident and comfortable.